Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Long Time Coming

Going for my JD has been a long time coming. I haven't always known that I wanted a JD, but my life has been dropping me subtle hints for as long as I can remember:

A devotion to Simulations and Model UN in Highschool
A sorority full of future lawyers and world leaders
Attending a school within my University that produces NGO leaders, I-Bankers, and Lawyers
Finding an adviser who also happens to be a law professor
Having an uncle who is both a law professor and part of a prestigious law firm

So, it came as no surprise to anyone (besides me) when I chose to pursue a career in the legal field.

Accordingly I've spent the last few years accustoming myself to becoming the most hated of our species: the lawyer. A sub-genre of human, so foul, so appalling, that most people sneer when someone utters the name. The prospect, while slightly demoralizing, still stands as my best option at the moment. I mean, a girl needs a steady job these days. Long gone are the times when a girl was expected to have minimal reasoning skills, just enough to be able to raise a family and cook a decent people. At this point, going to school for your Mrs degree is only an option for the extremely beautiful and talented.

Thus, here I sit, weighing my options and making decisions. More on LSATs and the horrors of the admissions process at a later date.

No comments: